Monday, October 25, 2010

WARNING: BORING POST AHEAD


No quote today.  Actually I couldn't find anything that would apply to what has been consuming my time lately.  To put is simply, I have been jumping through hoops to get my driver's license and my Pennsylvania license plate.

In Virginia, everything is done at the same location...the DMV.  I have complained many times about the long lines there, and the slowness of service - but now that I have experienced Pennsylvania's requirements, I realize Virginia is much, MUCH easier and decidedly more efficient.

I actually obtained my driver's license with minimal effort.  Yes, I had to provide my social security card (which I lost a bazillion years ago, so had to apply for a new copy), a copy of a bill with my name on it sent to my PA address, my birth certificate...uh...I think that was all.  There are not many PennDot centers in the area (the equivalent of DMV) - and the ones that are available have different days and hours of operation.  Just to make it interesting, I guess.  The PennDot centers DO NOT deal with license plates.  That part of the procedure has been privatized - so it is a business.  There are lots of these - with different days and hours of operation.  Sigh.

In order to get a handicap license plate, a doctor's note is required...but they won't take one from Virginia.  They will accept one from any state that touches Pennsylvania's borders.  Since I don't have a doctor here yet...I had to go with Plan B...which was to receive authorization from the police.  So, I went to a police station (which was nothing more than a glorified trailer) and had the officer filled out a form certifying that I was indeed in a wheelchair.  DUH.

On Saturday, George and I went to one of the License Plate centers and stood in line.  When it was our turn - we proudly put all the required forms on the counter, along with our PA driver's licenses...and she asked for our insurance cards.  When we gave her those, she said that we needed cards that said Pennsylvania.  So...George (not the most patient person in the world) called GEICO...explained everything and asked that they fax the new cards to the center.  The cards arrived...but they still said Virginia.  Hmmmm....So, he called again...they apologized and faxed new ones that did indeed say Pennsylvania - but they put the wrong effectiveness date.  Now, his patience is truly at an end.  He calls again...and they finally fax the correct cards. We signed several forms, and then wrote a check for $120 for my van and $195 for George's truck.

Now we have ten days to get the vehicles inspected.  Cost is a minimum of $70 per vehicle.  It was $10 in Virginia.  Also - have to wait for my handicap license plate and placard...so after all of this - I am still driving with my Virginia plate.

If you have read this boring post - my hat is off to you, dear reader!  I tried to think of some way I could make this information more entertaining - but the entire experience sucked out my creativity!  So - now I am free from the millstone of this legal necessity hanging around my neck and I can get on with things more interesting.  At least, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment