Friday, October 15, 2010

CLEAN AND SHINY

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."  Marcel Proust

This morning, Kathy arrived in a whirlwind of positive energy.  She is the dear lady who cleans for us and is very much appreciated.  Being in a wheelchair limits a lot of things that I can do...and vacuuming is one of them!  Oh - I can do it a little bit - but it is not easy...trying not to get my wheels tangled up in the power cord, etc. - so I am always delighted when my house is fresh and clean with all the little dust bunnies whisked away.

Yesterday I felt stressed- getting ready for her to come, but today I am relaxed and grateful, not only for her hard work...but for her sweet spirit.  Being in a new place - and not knowing anyone, can feel disconcerting.  So I am thankful she is so friendly and helpful...and easy to talk to.  She is helping us with the little things that are important - like knowing how to pronounce the names of the streets and towns.  Like Maunch Chunk Road...and Tamaqua. Not your run-of-the-mill suburbia names!

I think being in a new place also makes me feel vulnerable.  I am slowly learning my way around - but it seems strange to realize that no matter where I go, I will never run into anyone who knows me.  I am sure that will change eventually.  Marilyn and I are planning on attending a book club at Barnes and Noble later in the month.  Perhaps we will meet people there.  I will write more about that later.

But, for today, I just feel grateful - and more determined to find the blessings in the little things.  Also, I am learning quite a lesson about BEING a blessing.  It doesn't take much...just a smile and kindness.  Simple recipe to brighten some one's day.  That's what Kathy does for me.  She not only makes my house shiny...she makes ME feel shiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment