Sunday, October 31, 2010

THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT!

"Do you ever get the feeling that the only reason we have elections is to see if the polls are right?" Robert Orben

I am so tired of this election.  I am tired of the constant bombardment of stupid ads.  I am tired of the litter of political signs stuck on every available inch of free ground.  I want to hurry up and vote and get it over with.  As tired as I am of politics - there is something else that I am even more weary of....bedbugs.

At least two or three times a day, I am reminded in some way that there is a bedbug infestation.  It is the stuff of nightmares.  I was reading the paper this morning and when I glanced up at the TV - there was yet another video of bedbugs.  There are videos of clusters of bugs hiding in the folds of mattresses...close-ups of the wretched insect....and pictures of the plethora of tiny red bites on some unfortunate person's body.  EEEWWWWW!

In the NY Times this morning, there was an article about a new app for the iphone.  A Bedbug Alert. It is a real value - at only $1.99.  A GPS-enabled Google map indicates nearby bedbug-infested sites as red push pins.  The locations are based on addresses of bedbug outbreaks reported by the media, by governmental agencies and by users across the country.  You can click on a push pin for more information.  It lists names of public places, like hotels or theaters...but not private places like a person's home.  You can also report an encounter with bedbugs using the app.

I live within an hour - an hour and a half - of New York City and Philadelphia - numbers one and two on the list of top ten cities of infestation.  So - this app seems like a great idea to me!  I don't have an iphone...but if I keep seeing the videos of these creepy crawlies, I may have to go buy one just so I can get the app.  Hmmmmm...suppose this is just a ploy by Apple to sell more phones!  I don't trust anyone these days...after all - it is election season!

No comments:

Post a Comment