Monday, September 20, 2010

BACK IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING

"There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction."  Winston Churchill

Here I am, alive and well, having emerged semi-victorious over the mountain of boxes and packing paper!  Moving is an atrocious job, shaking us to our core.  At least, that is what it was like for me.  And yet - now that the dust is beginning to settle a little, I find that I really like where I am.  In many ways it reminds me of Warrenton, where I grew up.  The rolling hills and farmland stretch before me every time I leave my driveway.  We are definitely in the country and I love it.  I can hear the birds in the morning and that constant drone of traffic that I was used to in Richmond is gone.  It is quiet. And, at night, it is REALLY quiet.

We have lovely neighbors across the street who showed up at our front door with food during our first days here.  The people we have encountered in the grocery store have been pleasant - and amused by my accent.  Oh well.  Having lived in the south all my life, I recognize regional differences here - not bad - just different.

My sister came up on the train and spent a few days.  That was wonderful!!!  We worked and played - okay...we played more than we worked!  I was sad to see her go...but she will be back soon.  I made her promise.

We still don't have everything done - the living room looks like a war zone and we don't have pictures hung.  There are still boxes in the basement to sort through - and we are constantly searching for things.  I'm sure that most of the mysterious disappearing items will be found buried in one of those boxes in the basement.

I was most worried about our elderly dog and cat adjusting - but they are thriving.  Actually, it seems to have given my dog new life!  Goes to show what a waste of energy worry is.  Of course, I am sure I will continue to do it!!!

I am glad to be back at the computer...back to blogging.  Thanks for all your good energy and prayers during this transition.  Now it is time for me to settle in and return to writing.  I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are writing again. I missed your blog, even though we talk in some form every day. Your blogs are fantastic. :-)

    ReplyDelete