Tuesday, September 21, 2010

LICENSED TO DRIVE

"If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side."

I don't know who said that - but I like it.  Today I had to get my Pennsylvania driver's license.  Sigh.  During my adult years, I have spent many a frustrating hour waiting at the DMV, so I was prepared for the worst this morning.  It is called the Photo ID Driver's License center here - and if I had not used the Garmin, I would never have found it.  Tucked away on some obscure road, behind a warehouse.  The front of the building didn't even face the road.  When we arrived, the parking lot was packed and people were standing outside, smoking and looking like Zombies who had been waiting far too long.  Marilyn and I got our numbers - 209 and 210 - and she found a seat.  I just sat in the aisle in my wheelchair.  We looked up and realized that they were working on number 124, so we took a deep breath and prepared ourselves for a long, LONG wait.

Within moments, a policeman tapped my shoulder and told us to go to the counter.  WE HAD NO WAIT.  The clerk was so friendly and helpful, and she said that I didn't have to wait because my wheelchair was blocking the aisle and it was a fire hazard!  So - today - it was a good thing to be in a wheelchair.  Definitely an example of polishing the dull side of life and finding the shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment