Saturday, July 24, 2010

EAVESDROPPING IS BETTER THAN PROZAC

"If I didn't try to eavesdrop on every bus ride I take or look for the humor when I go for a walk, I would be depressed all the time."  Lynda Barry

To be a writer - it helps to be a great eavesdropper.  Listening in on other people's conversations can provide you with a wealth of material that slips easily into your work - and you don't have to add a footnote to give credit for stealing the idea, phrase or situation.  It is perfectly legitimate plagiarism. 

I suppose this activity can go hand and hand with people watching...another source of ideas...especially for developing characters.  And - there are always the people and situations from our childhood.  Anne Lamott said that anyone who survived childhood has enough material to write a dozen novels.  True. 

Airports are like gold mines for observing and listening...and it takes your mind off waiting.  I find myself making up stories about the people I see...giving them fictional travel itineraries, and relationship dramas.  Keeps my mind busy - my imagination active - and boredom at bay.  I just have to remember to jot these ideas down so I can use them when I need to jump start my sluggish writing muse.  

So, on these hellishly hot days - take a trip to the mall where it is cool, and have a seat.  Try not be too obvious.  You don't want anyone to think you are a weirdo, so maybe use a book as a prop and keep your sunglasses on.  Who knows what marvelous treasure you may come away with to use in writing fiction.  Plus, it will keep you from sweating...my absolutely least favorite thing to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment