Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A CHANGE OF VENUE

"A good home must be made - not bought."  Joyce Maynard

Forgive me for a little diversion from my usual topic of writing.  I have just returned from Pennsylvania - soon to be my new home.  I spent several hours, taking pictures of every room - every closet - every little space so that I could begin to tell the movers where to put the furniture. 

I have mixed feelings about moving.  Since I have lived in Virginia all my life - it will be a big change for me.  I keep reminding myself, however, that it is only 6 hours away - and I can come back and visit often.  We are moving to the beautiful Lehigh Valley area - which reminds me a little bit of Warrenton, where I grew up.  Lots of farm land, rolling hills, and a view of the fabulous Blue Ridge Mountains all around.  I spent a few days scoping out the area - found all the important places: grocery store, malls, Sam's Club...and of course, Barnes and Noble and Borders! 

I have been spoiled, living in Chesterfield.  While I enjoy the "feel" of country living here - I am only 10 minutes away from EVERYTHING.  It is quite different where we are moving.  I am only 5 miles from the grocery store...and only 6 miles from CVS pharmacy....and only 15 miles from a mall....and 19 miles from Target...etc.etc.etc. - BUT none of these places are close to each other!  I have been used to running out for milk - or groceries every day...but now I will actually have to PLAN.  OH NO!!!

 Everything is lovely, though - so I think we will be happy here.  It is very peaceful - and quiet...away from the constant roar of traffic and the glow of electric lights.  I think I might actually be able to see a sky full of stars - something I don't believe I have seen since childhood.  And, I am continually reminding myself that change can be a good thing.  I will have a fabulous place to write - and I hope to connect with a community of writers there. 

So - I have about four weeks until the move...lots and lots to do....but I will try to keep up the blog during all of the activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment