Tuesday, August 2, 2011

KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE SKY - YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT'S COMING TO GET YOU!

When we bought this new house - it came with a pool.  I didn't really want a pool...my swimsuit days are LONG behind me.  BUT - since it is HERE - we are using it.  The first time I got in, I was like a little kid - splashing and swimming and enjoying the sensation of being free.  Especially from the wheelchair.  Made me remember the days when I could really move.  And it is very private - no one can see unless they are in a plane flying overhead...in which case my house may be mistaken for Sea World, but who cares!
The other weekend, George and I were enjoying a wonderful Sunday afternoon in the pool on our floats.  The breeze was blowing, butterflies were everywhere, a few puffy clouds in the sky and I think we were both almost asleep when I opened my eyes and noticed buzzards flying overhead.  They were circling lower and lower and it dawned on me that we better start moving around because it was obvious they thought they had spotted a Sunday barbeque!  When we started kicking our feet - they flew off in search of something that was really dead.
I started thinking that life it kind of like that.  We have to keep moving...keep learning...keep reaching...keep trying new things.  Otherwise, we waste our days and before we know it, we become dull and lifeless, with no joy.
Mary Kay Ash said, "Some people drift through their entire life.  They do it one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time.  It happens so gradually they are unaware of how their lives are slipping away until it is too late."
I could paraphrase that quote by saying, "Don't let the buzzards get you!"  I think my quote is more memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment