Friday, March 4, 2011

"GEE, YOU LOOK FAMILIAR!"

"It is a sweet thing, friendship...a dear balm; a happy and auspicious bird of calm.".....Shelly

Sometimes the way the Universe works is simply mind-boggling.  I recently discovered that a friend I went to school with as a child lives only 20 - 30 minutes from my house here in Pennsylvania.  Gives new meaning to "small world!"  She came for a visit the other day - and I am still smiling!

 I must admit that I was nervous...after all, I had not seen her in nearly 40 years!  A lot has happened in that time...a lifetime, really...and I wondered what she would think of me now.  I even worried about what we would talk about. (Ridiculous I know.  I have never been at a loss for words!)  However, the moment she walked through the door, the 40 years seemed to magically evaporate and it was as if I had just seen her yesterday.  Truly amazing.  We had a wonderful afternoon together laughing and catching up - and doing a fair amount of simply reminiscing. 

There was a difference, though...I sensed a deeper, more authentic connection between us than when we were young.  I think that is one of the gifts of growing older.  We shed the superficiality of youth, and embrace our days with a tender grasp on wisdom and an appreciation for the treasures to be found in the human heart.  The joy of friendship, the rich bond that unites two people, is a vital part of our journey on earth.  It reminds us that we are not alone - that we have a touchstone for belonging - a common thread that weaves a beautiful design between two lives.  It may be colored with childhood memories, or similar interests, or simple compatibility, but whatever its composition, it is valuable beyond measure.

Yes - it really is a small world after all, and I am glad that it is.  (Now - I bet you are humming that song just like I am!)

When my friend came by for our afternoon "reunion", she graciously brought me some yellow roses and now, every time I walk by them, I remember our laughter and I smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment