Monday, October 10, 2011

I'M GONNA SIT RIGHT DOWN AND WRITE MYSELF A LETTER...

"To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart."  Phylliss Theroux

There has been a lot in the news lately about the necessity of closing some smaller post offices.  I find this so very sad.  My Dad was the Postmaster of the Warrenton Post Office for many years - and so the institution played a huge part in my life.  This picture is one that was taken fairly recently, I suppose.  I don't remember all the bushes and trees. 
I do remember going to visit my Dad and playing in the back on the mail carts.  I'm sure that the postal workers were less than enthused by my worrisome chatter - but they were always gracious!  No one ever delivered our mail since Daddy brought it home with him from work every day - and the only time of the year that I was ever slightly interested in mail was during the Christmas season.  Of course, I looked forward to the Sear's Wishbook, like every other kid...but I also loved the Christmas cards.  What happened to the joy of Christmas cards?

It seemed that sending Christmas cards became a duty...a chore to get through.  And people were always looking for ways to make their list shorter.  I even know some folks who recorded who they RECEIVED a card from and used that information to create the next year's list.  Miss a year, and you are off the list forever! No holiday wishes for you!


I also remember when the Christmas newsletter started slipping in among the stack of colorful, glitter-filled holiday wishes.  Typed on a boring piece of paper (sometimes with a gratuitous print of a wreath or snowman) ...no hand-written note - not even a written signature... filled with mind-numbing details that might have been more interesting if the sender had simply called occasionally and made personal contact.  And, the real kicker was the typed address label. A mass mailing.  Not terribly festive.  

So, why this rant about Christmas cards...in October?  Because sometimes I mourn the loss of good old human contact.  Emails and IM's and FB postings are good - but they are just not the same.  So, I am going to make a preposterous offer.  Are you ready?  Ok...

If you would like to receive a good old fashioned Christmas card with a hand-written note this year from ME - send your name and address to my email:  terre.sadler@gmail.com.  No solicitation - or networking - no ulterior motive...just a desire to give something back during the season.  I won't use your address for anything else.  I promise.  


I simply would like to send you a little happy sparkly good cheer this year.  Who couldn't use a little bit of that?


1 comment:

  1. I confess, I've narrowed my Christmas card list because I got tired of sending out 20 cards and getting 5. ;) You know my address, I know yours, so I'll include you in the 10 I still send. :)

    ReplyDelete